The TJAA is a community of Jewish artists, art professionals and art enthusiasts.
We are an artist-run organization committed to foster art by Jewish artists, promoting dialogue about Jewish identity and related issues among members of the community.
The Texas Jewish Arts Association (TJAA) was formed in May 2013 by a small group of Dallas-Fort Worth area Jewish Artists and art enthusiasts who saw the need to create a venue for discussion, critique, exhibition and education. The creation of TJAA resulted from an event organized by the Dallas Jewish Historical Society titled In the Eye of the Beholder, that brought together 19 local Jewish artists to exhibit artwork and attend a brief lecture about the nature of Jewish Art. The event attracted over 200 people and was deemed a huge success. Capitalizing on the energy of that evening, TJAA was formed. The association is comprised of seasoned and widely-exhibited artists, as well as emerging artists.
In order to nurture a vibrant and enduring Jewish identity, culture, and community, TJAA strives to engage Jewish and non-Jewish audiences as important collaborators in the development of a contemporary Jewish cultural exchange. Our goal is to foster artistic growth and camaraderie through informational and educational gatherings and exhibition opportunities.
- Provide publicity and exhibition opportunities for members
- Provide education and skill enhancement through lectures, critiques, and workshops
- Attract local and national artists to conduct lectures and workshops
- Offer classes/lectures about the history of art and symbology in Judaism, connecting the past with the future
- Provide an outreach resource for Jewish art teachers and students
- Create opportunity for Jewish youth and Jewish schools to exhibit their work
- Enrich the cultural landscape of Texas by tapping into the expertise of its Jewish Arts professionals and attaining members throughout the state to a build a network that will strengthen our creative culture
- Provide an intellectual 'eruv' - an arena for artists to interact with the Jewish community and within the parameters of traditional Jewish values
HOW WE WILL ACHIEVE THESE GOALS
- Annual Members Showcase Exhibit
- Annual Juried Member Exhibit
- Annual Student Exhibit (middle & high school)
- Art Lectures & Artist Presentations
- Art Workshops
- 'Salon' Gatherings
- Annual Members Meeting & Social Event
- Membership Profile Page & Member Publicity on Website
- Inclusive of art forms such as performing arts, literature, art therapy, art education and the visual arts
- Expansion of TJAA to other areas of Texas (regional chapters)
- Volunteer Opportunities:
- Liaisons to community institutions
- Speaker Recruitment & Liaison
- Special Events/Programs
- Graphic & Web Design
- Public Relations & Social Media
- Steering Committee Membership